Scholarships & Fellowships
The Ira A. Fulton College of Engineering seeks to provide financial support to students that will supplement university scholarships, promotes participation in college-wide programs, and encourages development of leadership capabilities, global competence, and innovation skills. Other scholarships and financial aid may be found on other BYU office websites and from external resources.
Toggle ItemCollege of Engineering ScholarshipsDescription: Nearly 30 generous donors have dedicated funds to supporting students in the Ira A. Fulton College of Engineering. According to the wishes of these donors, the dean of the college has appointed a special committee to review applications and disperse funding for each of these scholarships. To simplify the application process, students need only complete the University scholarship application. Please make sure to answer the three essay questions listed as optional in the University Scholarship application. Have questions? Contact us.
- Enrolled in 14+ credits both Fall 2020 and Winter 2021 semesters
- Has officially declared a major in the Ira A. Fulton College of Engineering
- Has received 7 or fewer semesters of scholarships, excluding Spring and Summer terms
- Has not received a Monson Presidential Scholarship, Heritage Scholarship, or National Merit Scholarship for the 2020-2021 school year
- Has not received a full tuition, two-semester University Scholarship award from BYU for the 2020-2021 school year
- Some scholarships have additional criteria or guidelines specified by the donors. If you have questions please contact our office.
Deadline: February 1, 2020
Application: University Scholarship Application
· Armin J. Hill Scholarship
· Blaine Clyde Endowed Scholarship
· Brian and Hallie Fielding Endowed Scholarship
· Dale T. Smith Memorial Endowed Scholarship
· Dominion Questar
· Dr. Gerald S. & Jane S. Meiling Endowed Scholarship
· Freeport-Mc-Mo-Ran Scholarship
· Geoffrey J. & Sydney L. Germane Endowed Scholarship
· Glen L. & Sylvia D. Bellows Endowed Scholarship
· Henrietta Clyde Endowed Scholarship
· Howard Hausknecht Endowed Scholarship
· Howard S. Bennion Memorial Scholarship
· Huang and Madeline Chao Family Engineering Endowed Scholarship
· James and Annette Ingersoll Family Endowed Scholarship
· Jeffrey M. and Jane Nobbs Endowed Scholarship
· Jonathan and Tara Oliver Inspiring Learning Endowed Fund in Engineering
· Karl E. & Laurie H. Seil Endowed Scholarship
· Keith & Kriss Woodley Endowed Scholarship
· Kent E. Kohkonen Endowed Scholarship
· Maurice R. Tanner and Hazel H. Tanner/ Ashland Oil Inc. Endowment
· Neil and Velma Stewart Inspiring Learning Endowed Fund
· Nephi Christensen Endowed Scholarship
· Paul G. Van Wagenen Endowed Scholarship
· Paullin Endowed Scholarship
· Raymond & DeLona Zinn Endowed Scholarship
· Richard V. Harris Foundation Endowed Scholarship
Toggle ItemBYU Kennedy Center Global Opportunities ScholarshipDescription: This need-based “scholarship of last resorts” targets students interested in participating in an academic program abroad. Instead of applying directly, students are recommended by a study abroad director or other faculty member, and then the Global Opportunities Scholarship Committee reaches out to potential recipients for further review. Amounts range from $0-$5,000. Sixty-six (66) awards were given in 2017 and seventy-two (72) in 2018. Have questions? Visit the Global Opportunity Initiative website or contact Corey Leonard at email@example.com or (801) 422-2980.
- Enrolled in a BYU academic program abroad
- Recommended by the relevant study abroad director or another faculty member
- Exhibit financial need
- Recipients typically have a job, have reached out to family and friends, have taken out student loans, and applied to many other scholarships and financial aid programs
Application: Students do not apply for this scholarship, but may discuss with their study abroad director about potentially being recommended for it. Faculty members may recommend potential recipients here.
Toggle ItemChoose2Give ScholarshipDescription: A half tuition scholarship awarded to a student for Fall 2020 and Winter 2021. Funds were donated by current BYU students.
- Pursuing a degree in the Ira A. Fulton College of Engineering
- On good academic standing
- Junior or Senior in their program
- Full-time student in Fall 2020 and Winter 2021
- Preference for students who do not have any other scholarships
Application: Choose to Give Scholarship Application
Toggle ItemResearch Mentorships for WomenDescription: Faculty members offer to mentor the top freshman and sophomore female students in a research laboratory setting. Stipends are provided to students, supporting time spent in the laboratory. Application information is emailed to all freshman and sophomore women in the summer and fall.
- BYU freshman and sophomore women
- Declared Major in the BYU College of Engineering
- Research Mentorship application required
Deadline for application:
Freshman: April before their first semester
Toggle ItemInternational Study Program (ISP) DiscountsDescription: The ISP office offers financial assistance, in the form of program discounts, to undergraduate students participating in its programs (e.g. study abroads). Discount amounts vary depending on financial need, GPA, year in school, major, length and type of program, and other pertinent factors. Amounts typically range from $0-$1,000. Have questions? Contact ISP Student Services (101 HRCB) at firstname.lastname@example.org or (801) 422-3686.
- Currently enrolled undergraduate BYU students
- 3.0+ cumulative GPA
- Completed FAFSA on file with the University (deadlines may apply - see application for more information)
Application: An application is provided after starting an application for a specific ISP program. Applying to a specific ISP program requires logging in with a BYU netID and password.
Toggle ItemSallie Mae Bank ScholarshipsDescription: Twenty-two (22) $5,000 scholarships. Have questions? Contact Claire Scott at scholarshipsSMB@salliemae.com or (801) 320-3775
- US Citizen
- Legal resident of the State of Utah
- Living in Davis, Salt Lake, Tooele, Utah, or Weber County
- Attend an accredited institution located in any of the forementioned counties OR attending an online accredited institution
- 3.25 GPA or better out of a 4.0 maximum (or WGU pass equivalent)
- Enrolled full-time (12 credits or more per semester) for both Fall and Winter semesters
- Enrolled in one of the following undergraduate programs: Nursing Associate, Nursing, Respiratory Therapy, Teaching, Engineering (Chemical, Civil, Computer, Software, electrical, Environmental, Mechanical, or Technology), Technology (Information Systems, Network Management, or Technology Management), transfer program in Pre-Engineering
- According to the Entrant's most recent FAFSA, have a total gross income of not more than what is specified for the county in which the student resides, as follows: $61,440 (Davis County), $63,760 (Salt Lake County), $63,760 (Tooele County), $59,760 (Utah County), $61,440 (Weber County)
Application: Sallie Mae Bank Scholarship Application
Toggle ItemSME Education Foundation ScholarshipsDescription: SME Education Foundation’s scholarships offer students a powerful reason to choose a manufacturing focused education. The generosity of their many individual donors and corporate partners have enabled SME to award scholarships that support thousands of new students to manufacturing every year. Scholarships are awarded annually and range from $1,000-$6,000 and can be used for education fees related to attaining a technical or engineering education. Students with at least one parent or grandparent who is a member of SME may be eligible for larger scholarships.
- Graduating high school senior, current undergraduate student, or graduate student
- Will be attending accredited colleges or universities in the United States or Canada in Fall 2020
- One of the following:
- United States and territories citizenship
- Canada citizenship
- Permanent residency status in the U.S. or Canda (i.e. green card)
- U.S. or Canadian student visa
- 2.0+ Cumulative GPA (most recipients have a 3.0+)
- Pursuing a degree in a technical or engineering field
Application: SME Education Foundation Scholarship Application Applicants will be directed to register for an application account before starting the application.
Toggle ItemSociety of American Military Engineers (SAME) ScholarshipDescription: The Great Basin Post of the Society of American Military Engineers invites freshmen and sophomores pursuing an ABET (Accreditation Board for Engineering and Technology) accredited engineering degree or NAAB (National Architectural Accreditation Board) architecture degree at a Utah university to apply for a Lt. Col. G. Roger Sunada $1,800 scholarship. Award of two scholarships is anticipated, with a presentation in mid-February of 2020. Have questions? Contact Evan Gabrielsen, SAME Great Basin Post, Scholarship Chair at email@example.com or (801) 904-4070.
- Enrolled in any university in Utah
- Freshman or Sophomore
Application: Society of American Military Engineers (SAME) Scholarship Application
Toggle ItemWeidman Center Global Student Scholar ScholarshipDescription: Six half-tuition scholarships to students who demonstrate a commitment to developing global or leadership agility. These scholarships are renewable, but must be reapplied for each year. Finalists will be contacted for an interview after the application deadline.
- Current BYU undergraduate sophomore, junior, or senior
- Enrolled in the Ira A. Fulton College of Engineering
- Full time student (12+ credit hours per semester) in Fall 2020 and Winter 2021
- 3.0 cumulative GPA or higher
- Has completed or is currently enrolled in ENG T 231 Foundations of Global Leadership
Application: Weidman Center Global Student Scholar Application
Toggle ItemFJM Impact Fund ScholarshipDescription: Five $5000 scholarships awarded to students in an engineering major.
- Scholarships will be awarded to students who have completed at least their first year of college with a 3.0 GPA or higher
- If the recipients maintain a 3.5 GPA or better, they will be given preference in the awarding of the available scholarships the following year
- Students receiving this scholarship may be asked to attend an annual networking event
Deadline: March 1, 2020
Application: University Scholarship Application
Toggle ItemOther Scholarships