Following recommendations from public health organizations and the Church Educational System regarding COVID-19 (coronavirus), the College Lecture featuring Mr. Brent Lorimer scheduled for March 12 has been postponed until a future semester.
Thursday, March 12, 2020
11:00 - 11:50 am
The College of Engineering offers several open lectures throughout each semester. Each lecture speaker, usually from an engineering or technology background, focuses on inspiring topics like innovation, collaboration, or leadership.
March's speaker is Brent P. Lorimer, shareholder and member of the Board of Directors at Workman Nydegger. Mr. Lorimer is The Best Lawyers in America®'s “Lawyer of the Year” 2011-2018.
Brent Lorimer’s wide-ranging technical and litigation experience contribute to his success in intellectual property and complex commercial litigation. His practice focuses on patent, trademark, copyright, licensing and trade secret litigation and related counseling. He has led litigation teams in a wide variety of technologies, including radar-based “dilemma zone” systems, automatic lane allocation, measurement of volume, occupancy and other traffic patterns, bone biopsy devices, areteriovenous shunts, embolic microspheres for use in treatment of uterine fibroids and other benign and malignant tumors, catheters for placement of pacemaker leads in coronary sinus; nano fibers used in stents and other devices, devices and methods for angiography, hemostasis methods using devices employing chitosan, endoluminal graft and stent design and placement, blood pressure transducers, e-commerce, dental bleaching compositions, GPS technology, thin film optics, exercise equipment, nutritional supplements and industrial wastewater treatment, among others.
Brent has obtained eight figure awards and settlements for his clients in patent litigation, as well as directing the successful defense of claims against his clients. He has also represented clients before the Patent Trial and Appeal Board in IPR and other post-grant proceedings, mediation and arbitration matters and inter partes proceedings before the European Patent Office. Brent has an active trademark / unfair competition practice, representing both plaintiffs and defendants across the country and has represented clients in high-stakes commercial litigation in a wide variety of legal disputes.
When he is not practicing law, Brent spends time with his beautiful wife, children and grandchildren. On the weekends, he is a part-time cowboy, gathering, yelling at and branding cows and providing comic relief for the real cowboys.
· 2018, Lifetime Achievement selection to America’s Top 100 Attorneys®
· 2007 – 2020, The Best Lawyers in America®
· 2018, The Best Lawyers in America®, “Lawyer of the Year” – Trade Secrets for Salt Lake City
· 2017, The Best Lawyers in America®, “Lawyer of the Year” – Patent Law for Salt Lake City
· 2016, The Best Lawyers in America®, “Lawyer of the Year” – Trade Secrets for Salt Lake City
· 2015, The Best Lawyers in America®, “Lawyer of the Year” – Trademark Law for Salt Lake City
· 2014, The Best Lawyers in America®, “Lawyer of the Year” – Intellectual Property Litigation and Trademark for Salt Lake City
· 2012, The Best Lawyers in America®, “Lawyer of the Year” – Patent Litigation for Salt Lake City
· 2011, The Best Lawyers in America®, “Lawyer of the Year” – Intellectual Property for Salt Lake City
· 2016, Distinguished Service Award, Utah Technology Council
· 2004 – 2020, “Utah Legal Elite,” Utah Business Magazine
· 2007 – 2020, Chambers USA – Leading individual in intellectual property
· Intellectual Asset Management Magazine – Listed as one of top 1000 IP lawyers in 40 jurisdictions